Friday, June 26, 2009

Weekly Photography Challenge (water)

Challenge Brief:


Happy first (full) day of summer, everyone!

Many of us are trying desperately to stay cool now that summer has hit us- and some of the most popular ways to keep cool (at least for me :) is to hang out by the water, swim in the water, have water balloon fights, go tubing, etc......

So, you may have guessed it, this week's challenge is...


WATER!


Submit 5 photos of water- in any way, shape, or form

Tweaking IS allowed.

Have submissions in by Saturday, June 27th.






"Watering Holes"


I decided to not go very literal with this one and use my sister's clever idea of shooting the very "local" watering holes. I loved the idea and wanted to try to execute it and do it justice.


Well this is my first challenge with the new camera. I have shot mostly RAW photos since starting to use it and it turns out that somewhere along the line my color images loose their vibrancy in post production and namely when I post online........So, I am super, totally, completely bummed that at this point I can not share the color images with you yet. (or at least not in their full glory) I was really really diggin' them and I have taken a ton and wanted to get them out to you to share. Now, I have to wait to figure out a solution to the problem. I hope that I can share with you soon though, as I am an extremely impatient person, especially when excited. So I have to resort to sharing only the B&W's this week. Hope you enjoy the rural flavor Im sharing with you in this challenge though.......no one can say that south eastern Iowa lacks character that is for sure! Thanks to all the bar owners/operators and new friends I met along the way! I had a great time shooting with my new camera for this challenge. Look for the color pics to come soon. Oh and also......Was finding it hard to pick just 5 this week.....and I was super frustrated with the color photo problem as well as running out of time....so im posting way more than 5 this week. Please forgive me. Comment however you wish


If you would like to see everyone elses entries for this week's challenge then click here. The round up is usually posted on Sundays.



























6 comments:

  1. Great take on water...nothing like an ice cold beer in your favorite watering hole to cool the summer heat. The watering hole in pic #3 looks as if it has seen some water.K4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I'm intimidating commenting on all of these, so I might not get them all and they won't be in order.

    13. (Stumble Inn) Is my favorite for you this week. The black and white along with the nostalgic looking sing makes a very strong picture.

    3. (Crappy wall)I love how rustic it looks! The framing is great and it looks like a really sad place that I would love to hang out. :-)

    7. (Bar Stools) I'm drawn to this one because of the way the light hits the bar stool backs in different ways. I also like the focus/fuzziness.

    11. (Bar view from lowish) I like the lighting in this one how it hits the wood floor and how it reflects differently off of each bar stool. I think this picture really captures the character of the place. Actually....it might not be the ACTUAL character of the place since I've seen the wall in the other picture, but it really captures a nice feel.

    2. Lacks definition in the bottles. I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe more contrast? It looks like a big wall of random glass to me instead of bottles of interesting alcohol.

    (People) I can't get over the people being blurry. I see that it creates a nice sense of movement in the picture, but I would rather have non-moving poeple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man....I got so flabbergasted trying to post for so many pictures, I think I forgot to tell you that I really like how you interpreted the challenge and I really like the feel of your pictures. Nice job with your fancy new camera. I can't wait to see the color pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Interesting take on "water"! My favorite photo from this set is the Stumble Inn picture. I like how the center of focus is on the right where the hand is pointing. Your eyes just can't wait to "stumble" in through the door!

    I also liked the stopsign/flag picture...I'm not sure why, I just do!

    Good job with the black and white and props to you for thinking outside the box of "water"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Great idea! These are fantastic.

    To pick some highlights:

    The 3rd one of the bar stools. The textures of the crummy wall in the background really makes the photo!

    Nice bartender action shots in the 5th and 6th photos.

    the 11th one of all the barstools and you taking it from a distance/angle - almost as if you had a few too many, were sort of on the ground but still managed to take a nice photo ;)

    The 13th one - Stumble Inn - great name for a pub! This made me giggle.

    And the 14th one - nice Bud Light can portrait.

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really really love this concept Erin! I like how not only were you able to think outside the box, but how you and your sister came up with the idea together!

    I'm sorry that you were still really frustrated by the colour thing. These still look beautiful! In the interest of getting to everyone's pictures I'm just going to comment on the ones that jump out at me.

    #5 and 6 I'm sure you didn't have a lot of available light in this sort of setting and I really like how you worked that into these shots. The motion of the bartender adds a lot of life to the image and tells a nice narrative.

    #7 The chairs/bar stools. I actually got to see this one in colour and have to say that I liked it better that way....even though it the colours weren't as bright as you wanted I still liked it a lot. The composition is just lovely. there is nice movement going away from and toward the viewer.

    #4 Beer Cases
    With a large set like this you're obviously going to have some photos that are stronger than others. I'm not sure that this particular photo is all that necessary for this set. It adds a little bit of context, but is not as interesting as the others.

    Great job this week Erin! I hope that you've been able to figure everything out in regards to RAW files!

    diana

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Erin Jo Chung is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.