Monday, October 12, 2009

Weekly Photography Challenge (interpretation of written word)


Challenge Brief:

Interpretation of Written Word


Submit and photograph a series of photographs representing/interpreting your favorite poem, line from a book, Bible passage or perhaps even something you've written.


The Rules:

1.) 1-5 photographs B/W or colour

2.) Tweaking is allowed

3.) Submit by this weekend if you can.

4.) Make sure you post the inspiration behind your photos as well as it's source.



Glitter in the Air by Pink


Have you ever fed a lover

With just your hands

Closed your eyes

And trusted, just trusted

Have you ever thrown

A fist full of glitter in the air

Have you ever looked fear in the face

And said I just don't care


Its only half past the point of no return

The tip of the iceberg

The sun before the burn

The thunder before the lightning

And the breath before the phrase

Have you ever felt this way...


Have you ever hated yourself

For staring at the phone

Your whole life waiting on the ring

To prove you're not alone

Have you ever been touched so gently

You had to cry

Have you ever invited a stranger

To come inside


Its only half past the point of oblivion

The hourglass on the table

The walk before the run

The breath before the kiss

And the fear before the phrase

Have you ever felt this way...


There you are, sitting in the garden

Clutching my coffee, callin me sugar

You called me sugar


Have you ever wished for an endless night

Lassoed the moon and the stars

And pulled that rope tight

Have you ever held your breath

And asked yourself

Will it ever get better

Than tonight, tonight.......


*click here to have a little listen*


So... Have you ever?







































...today I have.


Visit the WPC site to see everyone else's entries for the week.



8 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. I love the song. Red lipstick looks steller on you. I'm sure your neighbors are about ready to call the looney bin and have you committed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, You do realize don't you that glitter never really goes away...it just hides and keeps coming out of hiding to haunt you. Great photos of a beautiful subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one made me smile SO much~ it brightened my otherwise cloudy, rainy, cold, dreary day.
    I LOVE the movement of the glitter- there's something absolutey beautiful and graceful about this series, yet light-hearted.
    Great idea, and well executed!
    Oh, and your facial expressions are perfect :)
    ~Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and the second image is my favorite- slightly off-centered- we see just enough of your face (and the fantastic red lipstick;) and the movement is captured well.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. wrong. that one is not my favorite. i thought that the one above it was. and then i kept scrolling and changed my mind.

    i'm settling on...6th from the bottom. i love how your face seems a bit uncertain as to what it might feel like to have glitter in your nose, your ears, on your teeth. *wink

    and then in the 3rd to last photo and the last photo you have lost all inhibitition.

    or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words can not express, they really can't, how much I LOVE....that you just get me. man I miss you. and I have warm fuzzies just thinking of you dear friend. Thanks for your confidence in me. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really cool series and a great idea. There is so much great movement. The eight pic is my favorite because you just look so giddy to be in your glitter shower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Erin! I know, I know...you posted this WEEKS ago! But I've been wanting to comment on this set since I first saw it. Now whenever I think of you I see your face covered in all that glitter! I really really love your idea and execution.

    First of all, kudos to you for taking all self portraits! It can be a real guessing game with the focusing and timing. I can't help but wonder how many images you ended up taking in total...but it really doesn't matter, what matters are the images that you got that were successful.

    Great job getting the glitter to come through in the shots! That couldn't have been easy. You had to slow your shutter speed down, and then remain still yourself. The more I think about it, the more I'm amazed at all the logistics it took to figure out in order to pull off these photos!

    I like very much that you included at least two close up shots. If you'd left only one it really would have stuck out. A little note, I feel like a few of the shots are a little too similar/redundant. Sometimes less is more...and I think choosing photos that were very different from each other would have come over a little stronger. Perhaps six of the original images instead of 13. Having images that look so similar can effect the impact of the series as a whole.

    My favorites: 1.2.5,13

    The photo of just your hands is absolutely stunning. And your red lips at the very end, so dramatic! There's an erie darkness to these photos that is lightened up by your expression and cheery attire.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Erin Jo Chung is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.