Friday, April 24, 2009

Weekly Photography Challenge (cat eyes)

Challenge Brief:

Photograph something through the eyes of a cat 


Rules:

1. You can submit as many pictures as you'd like, no limit.

2. Try to explore an idea, a thought, a sequence of events.

3. No tweaking please.

4. B/W or Colour are welcome


Take the challenge as an opportunity to recognize that your legs don't have to always be used as tripods...  If you're having trouble, just spend a little time watching a cat, it should help give you some ideas!



Alright.  I don't know about this weeks challenge.  I found this one really tough.  I guess it was just frustrating that I couldn't really do what I wanted and had to settle on my vision for the cat's vision...haha.(that sounds funny)

But Anyway........

First of all im not a cat lover by any stretch of the imagination.  I used to have them as pets but only outdoors.  I know a lot about cats...just as anyone would.  How they are curious, how they prowl and pounce and stalk, how they scatter sometimes and hide, how they play with something etc. But I did not want to presume that a cat sees the same way a human does....so I actually did some research on what their vision looks like.  I learned that they see better than us at night but poorer than us during daytime.  While they do see color it is much more muted and harder to decipher between shades.  I learned that their field of vision is wider than ours and that their daytime vision is sort of unfocused.....or blurry.  I also learned that their depth perception is not as good as ours is.  They basically see more through movement and hearing than they do just using their vision.  Everything looks rather flat to them unless it is moving. 


So, with all this learned and now shared with you.  I feel I was only able to "use" and execute some of the characteristics of a cat's vision that I named above.  I am somewhat limited by my camera right now.  I had some other ideas and would have done more if I had the resources I think ( i.e. perhaps using a wide angle lens etc.).  My concept was to try to convey the stalking, and pouncing movement of a cat, as they play with an object.  And then also the result of the cat's movements on the said object.   The order of this series therefore becomes important.  I hope the order of the stills in some way  conveys the way that a cat would move around as it stalks and plays with the ball of yarn.  He first stalks the object and gets closer and closer then pounces and attacks the ball, the ball then moves away from him and he pounces again.  This happens a couple times and as it does the yarn unravels and then this also becomes subject to the cat's devices, so on and so forth.  I also tried to use the capabilities and tools that I DO have to get as close as I could to the actual vision of a cat.   With that said.....I could not hit every one of those characteristics, as it is not within my camera's capabilities, nor could we tweak the photos this week with editing software.  So.....here is what I have come up with this week using the manual functions on my camera as best I could.  Hope you enjoy.













11 comments:

  1. I think you captured a cat's view point pretty well. I think it is great that you researched so much for this project and learned new things. I love the color of the green yarn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I love your concept, what beautiful photos! Will have to comment more! I'm glad I made this one "unlimited" as far as how many images to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this might be a 2nd post but an error message popped up when I tried posting the first time so we'll try again.

    Great job on these, Erin! Well done on researching the vision of a cat and getting your photos to explore and capture that. Lovely shade of green - goes well with the lighting and the dark wood.

    I really like the first 3 pics with the mirror in the background and the overall lovely softness in the photos.

    The 2nd to last photo I like very much too as it appears that the cat's been playing with the ball of yarn for a while - very lovely soft strands there.

    Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me the eighth picture in this series says everything....If I was just to view this picture alone, I would have assumed that a cat had just batted it across the floor....beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Erin- I love all the background legwork that you did to figure out how to think like a cat- and to make your pictures convey those thoughts worked out wonderfully-
    I guess the best way to critique this as a whole is to just talk about the series in general- there's a wonderful back and forth going from picture to picture- as if the cat were batting the yarn away, then chasing it down, then batting it away, and chasing it down.
    The muted colors are wonderful- just the simple green and browns.
    I think the only thing different that I would like to see is more drastic angles while looking at the yarn- like the cat is tilting it's head in curiosity- the pictures you have now are generally taken straight-on (from what I can tell)
    However, that being said, the way you have them now, I would like to see as a series of framed pictures in a straight line along a wall.
    great job!
    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the colors that are in these pictures. It is a great soft green. I also like the back and forth motion that is created. The third from the last picture is my absolute favorite. I like the shape of the lone strand, and the shadows created under it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I'm back to comment, even though I took the week off last week.

    Erin I really really love your interpretation! you put a lot of work into it and it shows. I know that this series didn't live up to your expectations perfectly, which I something I can relate to. A bit of advice; put these photos somewhere safe and in about a year look at them again. You'll be able to see the images with fresh eyes. Sometimes it's hard to see what you've accomplished when you have a different image in your mind.

    The sixth image is my favorite! I'm beginning to see a lot of photos by different people that I really like...maybe we should do a photo swap one of these days!?!

    What makes these images especially successful is how you used a minimalist approach. There's really nothing distracting in any of the images. I also really love the way you used your light source to make things a bit hazy.

    Erin, may I suggest, if you haven't done it already, that you tuck away all these photo challenge images. Put them somewhere safe. They may come in use someday....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meow - Great photography! Really appreciate the fact you did your homework. Even cat lovers or owners may not have approached this assignment with the knowledge you gained from your research.
    Would like a scarf made from the yarn. Love the color.
    A little more research and you could have one made by my birthday. K4

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thought that you put into these photos, and the destruction that happens in them. I have totally had a cat destroy a ball of yarn and you captured it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a GREAT set! and I totally appreciate all the research you did for this challenge--it really shows. You chose a nice color of yarn to compliment the wood floor. THe movement from picture to picture is great and the focus points are excellent. Again, Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is my absolute favorite from your 'lens' section. the fact that you researched this is genious. you are a gem, dear friend.

    and you made me laugh about your cat disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Erin Jo Chung is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.