Friday, June 5, 2009

Weekly Photography Challenge (light)

Challenge Brief:

Exercise in light.

Pick an object, pick a window in your place of residence and photograph that object at different times of the day at said window.


Rules: 

1. Your object can be anything really, someone's head, a glass jar...whatever you'd like, just make sure it's the same thing in every photo.

2.  At the end of the week you will have to Submit 6 photos-three sets of two images.

3. Photograph your object at three different times of the day.  One photo is to be the same angle (so you'll have three total that look the same but that were taken at different times) and for the second photo of each set try and use the light available in the best possible way.

4. Please no tweaking since this is an exercise in light.

5. Submissions due between Friday, June 5 and Sat., June 6.

6. B/W or colour

7. If this is confusing leave a comment and I'll try and clarify! 




Since I have been painting like non stop the last few weeks I decided that it would be appropriate to use my paintbrush as my object.  While I was taking these I thought that the light wouldn't look that drastically different in each set.  But when you get them side by side they really do look totally different at different times of day.  The color ones really show how the tones change from kind of orangey to white to blue....thought this was very neat.  Though I obviously had a sense of this before, it was really neat to see it so laid out and obvious with them all right next to each other.   I know that the 12:00 set should kind of be the least interesting and less ideal light option.  Kind of as a rule it should be more washed out and less contrasty.   But for some reason this set seems to have worked out with the light that time of day. (at least in my opinion)  I like almost all of these except the 7:00 pm B&W.  This one doesn't do it for me.  I also want to say that every week that I think I don't have time for the challenge and I want to take the week off or something I'm always really glad when I do it in the end.  Some of my favorite challenges have been the ones that I wasn't that jazzed about to begin with or that I wasn't sure I would have time to do.  


If you would like to see the other entries for this week then visit the Weekly Photography Challenge Blog.



7:00 am




12:00 pm




7:00 pm



6 comments:

  1. hmmm...was it a different can of paint in the evening shot? white paint to yellow paint. ;)
    I found it interesting that you still did a similar angle for the extra shots- probably because you had your hand in there for the last two.
    Same angle shots- the fact that you did these all in b/w really ties them together- it's really cool how the shadows change throughout the day. The 7:00 b/w one just doesn't have the dramatic lighting that you usually use- that's probably why it doesn't do it for you~
    Extra shots:
    Morning- I LOVE LOVE LOVE how the brush seems to be glowing- I am pretty sure that's why you chose to do more of a detail shot of the brush. Super cool.
    Afternoon- VERY pretty how the light plays off of everything- and the colors are so vivid with the blue sky and the pink fleshy tones- I'm glad that the blue of the sky is repeated in the blue painter's tape- a happy accident? (I'm sure you noticed it, too ;)
    Evening- I can see that you were going for the contrasting blues/yellow paint. For some reason this is my least favorite- except for the dripping paint part. That's cool ;)Maybe I just would like to see more of a contrast between the bright yellow paint and the muted blues.
    Great job getting these done this week- I totally understand about the lack of time! where does the week go?!?
    ~Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your series this week! Something about the first B&W doesn't seem quite right. Did you put the reflection into focus and that's why the brush seems a bit off? I do enjoy that the reflection is present.

    I love the soft colors in the first color shot.

    My favorite of the week is the noon painting pics. So far it is my favorite image of the week! I love the bright blue sky and fluffy, fluffy clouds. Nice movement great shot! LOVE!

    The third one is a very cool effect and I am curious if my new camera can do that as well. Nice job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first set, the lighting does indicate to me a mornign feel. I'm not sure about the close-up of the paintbrush, as I'd rather see more of the sunny background. I like the angle of the black and white ones.

    I think the 12:00 pics are by far my favorite of these - so happy and sunny! The blue sky background almost looks fake haha - it just looks so perfect! the image in the black and white shot looks clearer, I can see more of what's going on than the other ones too.

    The 7 PM one is pretty nice - maybe not as much dramatic lighting in the black and white pictures as the previous two, but still pleasant - I really like the goopy motion of the paint in the color one and the blue and yellow colors. :) - they go nicely with the sunny blue sky of the noon photo.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the finished rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you took a challenge that was simply a study and found a way to tell a story anyway. I'm glad to see that you were able to pick up on the subtle differences light can create.

    It was nice to see the black and white photos contrasted with the colour. You incorporated another aspect into the challenge that I hadn't thought of. Light really does change colour. Usually I think in black and white and struggle to understand and anticipate how light changes colour. It was nice to see it so clearly hear.

    Usually I prefer early morning light, but for some reason, just like everyone else, I liked the second set of shots better. The close up shot of your hand is a really good example of how direct sunlight can actually work in a photograph. I agree with Em on the bit of blue tape. This picture would not be so charming if the sky wasn't so blue and fun.

    With your new camera you'll be able to us diffused evening light better. A fast lens would have been able to capture more light for you. In the second photo it looks like your camera struggled to get a sharp shot. I do enjoy the blob of paint though, very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job again Erin!! I pretty much agree with the other comments. My favorite is also the second colored one. It looks like it could be an ad for the paint or something--how the sky in the background is just so perfect and summery. I also like how we can see the changing light in the shaddows on the b/w images.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Erin Jo Chung is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.