Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Granny. Her Faces.

My Granny is one of the most animated people that I know when she is speaking and especially while telling stories (which she does a lot).....hmmm wonder where I get that from??!! Here are some gems from a recent visit. In the short amount of time that I was shooting her she gave me sooooo many different faces and expressions. FYI...if she looks serious she probably isn't at all! As you can see we both love fun jewelry too.....she told me that these awesome earrings she is wearing were from the fifties!!! I was totally in love with her AND her earrings. What a neat, neat, joy of a lady. More from her to come....I think she may have some more stories and secrets to tell hidden away somewhere. ;) ;)


ps. I wrote this letter to her this winter when she had a bad fall and rough go at it. I was up visiting for a while and had never really shared with her how I felt and so wanted to take the opportunity to do so. It pretty much sums up how I feel about her.



Granny my Granny-


I am sorry that I will not be saying this to you in person. On Sunday, both Jess and I felt sick with colds and I did not want to jeopardize your progress and recovery.

Sometimes I also struggle with saying what I am feeling in person anyway, so I hope that it is okay if I express myself through writing instead.


Even though my visit these last two weeks was due to unfortunate events and awful pain on your part, I can not help but treasure them all the same. It has been quite a gift of reflection and discovery for me.


I have come to regret not knowing you more in my young adult life. I am pleasantly surprised to have discovered that we have quite a bit in common. The biggest, being that we are both artists in life. Even though I am not a musician and you are not a visual artist. We undoubtedly share this amazing creative spirit in all aspects of our lives and we both have a mutual respect for each other's mediums. I wish I could have known you as a singer, pianist and musician earlier in life. Our souls met too late in life for this. However, I am very honored to have the privilege to share my work with you now, and you are still sharing your talents with me today even though it may not be evident to you.


The appreciation that you show for the artist in me and the things that I create means more to me than you can ever imagine. I often struggle with self confidence and I will grasp onto and carry this support you freely give me now, throughout my entire life. What a gift!


One of the greatest compliments I have ever received, you gave me this week. You said: " Your photos are so bulletproof. No, no, more important than bulletproof!"

I understand that this was not exactly what you meant to tell me and we had a good laugh about it. However, I found it both funny and poetic at the same time. This moment is burned into my memory and I will forever remember it.


Your sense of humor is simple and extraordinary! I see it as one of the greatest forms of optimism. I admire this quality in you. It is very very special. I can't help but wonder and be in awe at how this has gotten you through the hard times in your life.


This in conjunction with your creative spirit inspires me.


I have great admiration for uniquely individual things and people in life. You epitomize this for me. As I strive to be my own unique person, I can't help but see a whole lot of you in me. This makes me smile and pleases me very much.


I am very grateful in these modern, chaotic, times that I have had this small opportunity for your spirit to consume me. I will eternally be thankful for this amazing gift. A gift to myself and a gift given by you.


I am so sad to leave you this week. I will miss visiting you everyday and sharing priceless giggles and broad smiles. You are so very generous.


I can not wait to return this summer and visit you in your new home! I hope to carve out special time in order to have the opportunity to once again share ourselves with each other. Sharing is a powerful thing in life. It builds and binds souls.


I want you to know that I think you are a gorgeous, strong, brilliant woman, and I am not speaking ONLY of physical manifestation. Even though I feel I do not know it well, I have a very strong sense that INSIDE you, is where these qualities lie the deepest. Your brilliance radiates. What is inside is the most important anyway, after all it is what carries you through this life and the next. I have no doubt in yours.


As you know by now, one of my loves is unique one of a kind jewelry. One of my favorite pieces, which I have cherished for years, is a bracelet with the following poem inscribed on it. There is something profound about having meaningful poetry touch your skin! It is by Emily Dickinson, one of my favorite poets.


" For what are stars but asterisks

To point a human life"


In this time of reflection and then also self discovery, I am only just now realizing who my stars are. You, Granny are definitely one of them. Consciously or unconsciously you have, and continue, to point my life towards further greatness.


You shine bright and clear. I will treasure and corral your big, huge spirit in the special little box that is my heart. You are forever a piece of me. A true treasure.


I love you,

Erin Jo












3 comments:

  1. You bring tears to my eyes. Brilliant photos and letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my grandma was still around to tell her things like that. Beautiful. (I love the last shot!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rachel. I wish I could call my granny, hug her and tell her once again how much I love her. Great letter! Grannies are special and you have some great photos!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Erin Jo Chung is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.